Hey guys, hope all is well.Â The best TV show in the history of TV shows is clearly "Eastbound and Down" on HBO starring Danny R. McBride as Kenny Powers.Â It returns with a new season on September 26th.Â The premise is Kenny is a former major leagueÂ baseball pitcher who has been reduced to teaching P.E. at a middle school in Shelby, NC.Â He's a former steroid abuser, still a racist, still a cokehead, with the occassional X trip.Â All the while, teaching middle school kids.Â He's most definitely white trash.Â But, surely there are others in real life, in professional sports.Â So I researched and came up with this.Â I wanted to do a Top 10 but here's my Top 9 (in honor of my soon to be son James Alan.)
1. John Daly
Hmmm. Does JD bear any similarities to KP? Only all of them.
Garish behavior? Quintuple Check
Questionable wardrobe choices? Infinity check
Less-than-athletic physique? Yup
While Daly hails from Kentucky and Kenny Fân Powers hails from Shelby, North Carolina, thatâs where the differences end. Despite the fact that one is fictional and one is real, Iâm still about 80% surprised that these guys havenât been named as co-defendants in some sort of strip club brawl in southern Illinois, or something.
Daly is a chain-smoking, frequently divorced, alcoholic who treats golf more as a burden than as a career. And all accounts indicate heâs rocking a pretty seriously gambling addiction.
Kenny Powers is a foul-mouthed, blindly patriotic alcoholic who gets laid on the reg.
Iâm politely asking someone to set these two guys up with a Jet-ski dealership sooner rather than later.
2. John Rocker
Putting John Rocker on this list is like filling in the âFreeâ square on your BINGO card. Itâs nice, but itâs so easy itâs not even fun. Even producers of Eastbound and Down said that Rockerâs antics helped them craft the beautifully flawed protagonist that is KennyÂ "You're F'n Out"Â Powers.
To Rockerâs credit, itâs pretty impressive that he so effortlessly was able to anger an entire culture. To his detriment, he did so in the easiest way possible: by being really, really, really, really racist and ignorant in public interviews. Good job, John.
While KP occasionally suffers from what we will euphemistically call âoverenthusiastic patriotism,â he never really dropped the racial hammer the way J-Rock did when he opened his less-than-Ivy-League-educated mouth regarding the virtues of diversity on an NYC train trip. What the hell was he doing riding the train, anyway?
3. Karl MaloneWhile not technically âwhite,â Karl Malone models himself after more than a couple aspects of life that could certainly be considered âwhite trashâ. Heâs by almost all accounts a great guy, but certain tendencies could lead people to think heâs perhaps a bit of a redneck.
First off, how does the most dominant power forward in the heyday of the NBA spend his off season? Well, Malone spent it by splitting his time by ranching (a little odd) and touring the country in a full-sized 18-wheeler with a beautiful desert landscape painted on the side. What? Yes. Unfortunately, an image of the rig is not available online, but I promise I saw it on NBA Inside Stuff when I was 13 and the image has not left me since.
Case stated and proven.
4. Ben Roethlisberger
This one shouldnât come as much of a surprise to anyone. If youâre a superstar pro athlete with the world at your fingertips and you manage to keep squandering your good fortune with motorcycle accidents and sexually aggressive behavior, you might be a redneck. Excuse me. âWhite Trashâ.
Seriously Ben. Youâre a Super Bowl-winning QB with national notoriety and more money than Scrooge F'n McDuck. If you need to be any sort of aggressive when it comes to tapping ass, you might want to re-evaluate your approach.
And if youâre looking for an adrenaline rush, rather than play Evel Kneivel on your bike, try a pastime that thousands of other NFL players rely on. Itâs called ânot taking your NFL career for granted and jumping on a damn motorcycle.â The sublime pleasure of knowing you still have a career may not be as heart-pumping as crashing your hog, but it lasts a hell of a lot longer.
The best thing about watching people like Ben is the fact that these guys generally get worse as they get older. Right now, Ben is in the âKevin Durantâ stage of white-trashdom. We see the frequent flashes of brilliance and continue to hold our breath to see what his eventual ceiling will be. If itâs anything less than âhead-butting Taylor Swift at the 2013 Kidsâ Choice Awardsâ, Iâm going to be quite disappointed.
5. Jason WilliamsIf KP is good âole boy white trash, then Jason Williams would be representing the urban version. White trash can take many forms, and although mullets, gold chains and football jersey can be good indicators, they are by no means the only indicators. Williamsâ freaky shaved head, countless tats, nauseating nickname (White Chocolate? Ugh) also point to someone who may not be presenting the best humanity has to offer.
While he was a standout basketball player for Florida, it turned out the fourth time was a charm when he violated the teams substance policy. He was kicked off the team, and, consequently, out of school. When asked about his favorite experience in college, Jason explained that his expulsion was his favorite memory. A world-beater in the making, folks.
The clincher, though? He has WHITEBOY tattooed on his knuckles. Though the eight letters match up on the eight knuckles, to the untrained eye, it probably looks more like WHIT EBOY . You have to think these things through, Jason. Heâs also gotten in scraps with the NBA and team management for tossing out some racial slurs at Asian fans sitting court-side and publicly declaring that his team, the Grizzlies âsuckedâ and is the âworst in the NBAâ.
At least KP is funny.
6. Larry BirdA good rule of thumb: if youâre nickname throughout your pro career is âThe Hick from French Lick,â youâre probably gonna get a nod on this list. While Bird is a basketball legend and not a walking punchline, he definitely demonstrates more than a handful of the symptoms of the white trash constituency. Letâs dive into them with everyoneâs favorite list-making device, bullet points:
* Born in a place called French Lick.
* Looks not unlike a chicken.
* Married a chick in high school, divorced her 11 months later in 1977, fathered a daughter during that period, but denied his paternity until 1998 when the daughter went on Oprah. Sweet.
* An Oklahoma man sentenced to 30 years in jail requested that his sentence be changed to 33 years to match Birdâs number. Request was granted. Thatâs a special kind of fan, right there.
7. Steve HoweIf this guy wasnât a professional baseball player for so many years, he probably would have qualified for his Screen Actors Guild card by making hundreds of appearances on COPS. He was eventually banned from the game of baseball for his predilections. And what exactly were they? That sweet, sweet china white. Blow. Nose candy.Â Booger sugar.Â The devilâs dandruff. Yayo. Cho-canya.
He LOVED it. He loved it like Tony Montana, Lindsay Lohan, George Rogers,Â and Stevie Nicks combined. In a surprisingly strong 17-year career, he got suspended for the white stuff seven times. Often times, his suspensions were for full seasons, marring his career with inconsistent play and a tainted legacy.
Of course, I realize that there is a big distinction between having a drug addiction and being white trash, but when you spend such a large portion of your livelihood with bail bondsmen, court hearings, and apologizing for the same damn thing over and over, that line gets a little blurred. Iâm sympathetic to the plights of the addict, but this guy is at the very least an honorary member.
8. Dale Earnhardt Jr."Watch it, Maffew!"Â Besides operating under the stereotype that all NASCAR drivers are red necks, Dale Jr. seems to be a pretty stand up guy who isnât blowing rails at college bars in rural Georgia.
Heâs got the twang, the strangely intimate love affair with Corvettes (I know theyâre his sponsor, but still), opened a bar named Whiskey River in Charlotte, and a candy bar called âBig Moâ. I have eaten the Big Mo. I recommend that no one ever eat the Big Mo.
Plus, fashion senses of KP and Jr are pretty uncannily similar. Both of them would look right at home in a satin jacket that said in cursive on the back âThe Heartbeat of America is Todayâs Chevy Truckâ. They both also dig on the wraparound sunglasses, despite the fact itâs no longer 1995.
9. Tiger, TigerÂ Woods, yall!Nine months ago, I would have been laughed at the building, or at least been stared at uncomfortably for a long time if I had suggested Tiger was a redneck. He was graceful, mysterious, insanely rich, and not white. And he golfed.
However, if we take a look a the rap sheets of KP and Tiger, we shouldnât be so quick to dismiss them as that different.
Banging out waitresses at Orlando-area Olive Gardens and Cheesecake Factories?
Gettinâ effed up on the reg and crashing your SUV?
Driving a Buick when you can afford a much nicer car?
Owns a tanning bed?
Tiger: Eh, probably not
While these are by no means definitive, the purpose here is to look beyond skin color and status when we look for âwhite-trashedness.â Kenny Powers has opened our eyes to a new cultural dynamic in sports. Has it always been around? Probably. But it sure seems to be a lot more prevalent now. Pray for us.Â Tickle it guyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys!
Great information! Iâve been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks!
You know, I have to tell you, I really enjoy this blog and the insight from everyone who participates. I find it to be refreshing and very informative. I wish there were more blogs like it. Anyway, I felt it was about time I posted, I
I found your blog on google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.